Home Health: Finding Hope for You and Your Loved One

Common Myths Associated with Lead Based Paint

Lead paint was a commonly used product in American homes and businesses because of its durability, quick drying time, and the product's resistance to moisture. Unfortunately, lead a dangerous metal that unlike other types of heavy metals, cannot be metabolized by the human body and is therefore extremely unsafe, especially for children.

If you have lead paint in your home or suspect you might, here are a few common myths about lead paint that you should not believe.

Kids Must Ingest Lead Paint Chips to Get Sick

One common fallacy about lead paint is that for your kids to get sick, your paint must be obviously chipping, and the child must pick up and eat or chew on these paint chips. While this is one way for your child to suffer from lead poisoning, your child is actually more likely to have higher lead levels in their blood from consuming dust containing fine lead particles.

When lead paint becomes damaged, small particles will mix with the dust and will accumulate wherever dust accumulates, such as on your windowsills, tables, and other flat surfaces. This means that even if there is no obvious damage to your paint and you suspect the paint is lead-based, your child might be still be ingesting small particles of the lead.

It is Easy to Identify Lead-Based Paint

Unfortunately, lead paint looks, feels, and performs like any other type of paint you would purchase the shelves of a home improvement store. You cannot just look at the paint in your home to determine it is lead-based and instead, you must hire a professional to have the paint tested. It became illegal to manufacture lead-based paint in the 1970s, so if your home was manufactured or updated before the 1970s, it is possible there is lead paint on the walls.

Lead Paint Can be Safely Eliminated by a Homeowner

Finally, if your home tests positive for lead-based paint or your home was manufactured before the 1970s, you might be considering stripping the paint away yourself. Unfortunately, the materials available at your local home improvement store, such as a dust mask, are not sufficient enough to protect you from inhaling lead paint particulates. A professional lead-based paint removal specialist will have the right tools, equipment, and expertise to eliminate all the lead paint in your home. This is the safest, most effective way to ensure your family is safe.

From the idea that it is easy to spot lead paint on your walls to the notion that lead paint can be easily remitted by a homeowner, there are several common myths about lead paint you should not believe.